Several variants of growth hormone testing are now available. They are GH serum test, Insulin-like growth factor-1 test and GH suppression test.
1. An HGH Serum Test is ordered to assess pituitary function and help diagnose conditions resulting from the deficiency or overproduction of the human growth hormone (HGH) such as hypothalamic disorder, hypopituitarism, acromegaly, and ectopic growth hormone production by neoplasm. The test measures the amount of growth hormone in the blood.
2. Insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) is a hormone that, along with growth hormone (GH), helps promote normal bone and tissue growth and development. The test measures the amount of IGF-1 in the blood.
3. The growth hormone suppression test determines whether growth hormone (GH) production is being suppressed by high blood sugar.
Growth Hormone Test Preparation
The growth hormone test requires fasting after midnight that means no breakfast or fluids except for normal water. This Human growth hormone test should not be carried out if the person is sick. Inform a doctor about any allergies as well as any medications being used as certain kinds of medication can lead to false test results.
Growth Hormone Test Procedure
The Growth hormone stimulating test or growth hormone test is a long procedure and can take up to 6 hours to complete. In the test, an IV line will be started and blood samples will be drawn out from the IV itself and L – Arginine and Cortrosyn. The blood samples can be drawn every 30 minutes for up to 4 hours.
When to get tested for growth hormone?
The growth hormone test is advised if the following factors are noticed;
- slow growth;
- short stature;
- delayed development;
- decreased bone density;
- elevated blood lipid levels;
- symptoms of excessive GH;
- symptoms of HGH deficiency;
Growth Hormone Normal Range
The growth hormone normal range in a healthy Men < 5 ng/mL or < 226 pmol/L
For women the growth hormone normal range is < 10 ng/mL or < 452 pmol/L
For children, the growth hormone normal range is 0-20 ng/mL or 0-904 pmol/L